A long overdue kitchen update

As we hinted at in the previous post, work on the kitchen has been continuing, albeit at a much slower pace than we’d originally hoped. But it has been moving forward, and the room is looking better by the day. For starters, we are now finally free of damp! The bare bricks were treated and re-rendered.

Rendered wall

Finally damp free

And far more exciting than a wall – the floor is finally finished!

Finished floor

A level floor at last!

It took a really long time, and it feels like we’ll never be free of all the dust, but we’re so pleased with the result. With the floor down we had a bit of a lull before taking delivery of the kitchen, so we finally summoned the courage to try wallpapering for the first time. To make it easy for ourselves, we decided to just paper the uneven walls with 1400 lining paper, and then paint over it. This meant that we didn’t have any pesky pattern repeats to worry about, and the thicker paper is apparently easier to work with. Since the ceilings are quite high in the house, we decided to start off underneath the window, so we weren’t working with a really long length of paper. Finally, after a LOT of preparation, we put up our first strip of wallpaper.

Wall with one strip of wallpaper

Our first strip of wallpaper!

At the time it was a rather big occasion. The picture really doesn’t do justice to the atmosphere and celebration given to this tiny piece of wallpaper. Perhaps you had to be there. Anyway, once we got started, the rest of the wallpaper went up really quickly. And then we had to tackle the really difficult question – what colour to paint the walls? Wallpapered wallsWallpapered walls We’ve always been fans of quite light, neutral shades. But in this room, they all seemed too cold. The two front runners for a while were Mellow Mocha and Egyptian Cotton from Dulux, but they were coming out almost pale purple in the light, so we weren’t sure. But we don’t like things to be left undecided, so at one point we nearly gave in and just bought Egyptian Cotton, just to stop the indecision hanging over us. But at the till we couldn’t go through with it, and it was back to the drawing board. We started looking at the more period brands, hoping to find a shade that would suit the age of the property. We liked Farrow and Ball Hay, and found Imperial Gold by Crown to be a really close match. We had samples of both, but it seemed to be an over-correction of the blue-based tones, as they were both way too bright and overpowering. Sensing a Goldilocks situation, the man of the house was becoming increasingly frustrated by this point. It was last chance saloon, before succumbing to the dreaded Magnolia. And then Little Greene stepped up to save the day. We tried samples of Woodbine and Chamois. Whilst my personal preference was the more lemony Woodbine, the boss man liked Chamois. After all the stress to get this far, Chamois was declared the winner as an act of appeasement. But I have to say, now it’s up, it was the better choice.

Wallpapered and painted walls

Starting to look like a proper room at last 🙂

So we’re now just working on the last few bits, ready to take delivery of the kitchen. The end is in sight, I am tantalisingly close to having a kitchen sink!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s